Sunday, May 4, 2008

10 years ago today...


There is a lump in my throat as I write this blog today.
10 short, wonderful, overwhelming, perfect years ago today, I was contracting around the beautiful boy in my belly. My sister was driving from Toronto to be with me. It was a Monday.
I walked around the neighborhood where we lived. I was WILD with excitement at the thought of this little man who was about to enrich my life beyond anything I could imagine.
You see, I was adopted. I have a loving, wonderful family and have never wanted for anything - but I did always wish someone looked like me. God knew. He sensed the longing in my heart. He blessed me far more than I deserve when He gave me Michael.
The moment he was born, I cried, "he's here! It's Michael! He's here"! I knew he was a boy. I sensed it in my soul. I called him Michael from the moment I knew he was there. I treasured the 9+ months he was with me. I cherished the midnight feedings and the moments in silence when he had fallen asleep and I couldn't get enough of his beautiful face. I cheered him on when he started walking... I encouraged him when he cried the first day of school... I laughed as he told his baby sister about frankencelery and how God is bigger...
My boy is 10 tomorrow. No longer the chubby-cheeked toddler. No longer the babe in need of his mama's touch.
Every day is different. Every moment with my son is a moment I know I will never forget. He has brought me more joy than I can imagine. My heart is full. I am overjoyed. My cup runneth over.

I dedicate the words of this Sara Groves song to the boy who stole my heart and who continues to make me strive to be the mother he needs.

You cannot lose - Sara Groves

You will lose your baby teeth
at times you'll lose your faith in me
you will lose a lot of things
but you cannot lose my love.

You may lose your appetite
your guiding sense of wrong and right
you may lose your will to fight
but you cannot lose my love

You will lose your confidence
in times of trial, your common sense
you may lose your innocence
but you cannot lose my love

Many things can be misplaced
your very memories be erased
no matter what the time or space
you cannot lose my love.

You cannot lose... you cannot lose... you cannot lose my love.

2 comments:

Amy said...

A giggly, chubby boy in overalls is all that I remember. Too early in my marriage to even consider children, but feeling wonderfully blessed to know my BF was thrilled with life...
Michael is so many things....a beautiful, compassionate kind soul....Tell your boy "Happy Birthday" from all of us...ANd remind him we love him dearly!!!

Roxanne said...

Happy Birthday Michael!