Monday, April 9, 2007

a heart to worship...

I had an opportunity to sing and play piano at a Catholic/Italian funeral today. You might say, "an opportunity!?" but trust me, this was something so unexpected and lovely. I got a call from a lady who sings in a group I used to sing in. She took my place, actually, and while I know this woman, I don't know this woman. The funeral was this morning at 11 so Barbara Ann came over at 9 to run over some songs. I have not played or sang publicly since August so I was feeling quite rusty! But, as I sat at my piano and lifted my fingers to the keys, I had such anticipation... God would come. Oh, I longed for God to come... "Holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, who was and IS and IS to come... " I get that sensation in my heart... that feeling that something is coming over me... please, God... "Ever so gently, Your spirit calls to all who hear... Ever so gently, the sound of Your voice, quiet yet clear..." Oh, and it's on me... I feel the presence of God so very much. In this church I've never been in, with these people I've never met... worshiping with another who's heart is so very tender and open to God. I felt home. Oh and it's been SO long since I have felt it... so long since I felt the touch of God come on me as I worship. God, you have blessed me and have spoken truth to me this day. I was made to worship you and I will worship you in spite of my circumstance... YOU are Lord and You know the path I'm on. Lead me, Lord... strengthen me... bring me to You... let me find You in the midst of the uncertainty and fear.

"At the foot of the Cross, where grace and mercy meet
You have shown me your love, through the death You bore for me
and You won my heart, yes You've won my heart
Now I can
Trade these ashes in for beauty, I'll wear forgiveness like a crown
Coming to kiss the feet of Mercy
I lay every burden down at the foot of the cross
At the foot of the cross where I am made complete
You have given me life through the death you bore for me...
and You won my heart... yes You've won my heart... "

I am yours. There is no other.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sooo beautiful. I am glad He surprised you with the gift of expressing yourself through music.

I pray that you will press into this strength and spend more time expressing your heart by playing.
I pray that you will be able to write songs of worship even in these times of brokenness.

Some of the greatest writers have penned the most beautiful songs, through seasons of brokenness. I pray this for you.

Been praying for you and thinking of you this past weekend.

Unknown said...

Thanks Cheryl... I treasure your prayers. Your support is so very appreciated... and needed! Blessings...

Amy said...

Honey,
Sometimes God allows us to be broken so we can completely come to him. When we are alone, when we are crushed, when we need him most. He loves the times that we are with people and expressing ourselves together...but he also cherishes the times we spend intimately with him. All alone. Just you and him.
Cherish these times.
(This is usually me as I do my housework...put a movie on for the kids, turn the CD up full blast and go...OH HOW I LOVE IT. Most times I don't make it through cleaning..)
Love you much.

Unknown said...

I love you too, friend. You're so right... I need to take advantage of the times I have "free" to just sit and wait for Him... because when He comes, it is SO wonderful.

Roxanne said...

Joy, I didn't desperately DEPEND on Him until I desperately NEEDED Him.

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean, Roxanne... It's so easy to get into the mode of doing things "for myself" rather than letting God take over. Coming to that place where I realize that I can't possibly carry all of the load was a great revelation... I can't do it... God can. My need for Him is SO great and I realize that now. It's so much easier to depend on Him when I recognize my need. Thanks for your prayers... I pray your week brings blessings you're not expecting.
Love, Joy

Praise and Coffee said...

Joy,
I am/was a worship leader until the last couple of weeks as we have stepped away from the church we planted.
I understood your thoughts and feelings prefectly and the worship of God just wells up in me as I think about it.

Very touching post, and so nice to meet you!