Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Keep moving forward...

I took my kids to see the movie "Meet the Robinson's" on Monday night and I was pleasantly surprised at how great it was. It was about a little boy who invented things and lived in an orphanage. Without giving too much away, he invents something to help him find the memory of his mother. He is brought to the future, only to find out his future might be in danger and realizes he needs to make some different choices in the present so his future holds all it's meant to. He's given a piece of advice from someone in the future who says, "keep moving forward". He tends to get discouraged by the inventions that don't work and he gets frustrated, but this advice helps him to realize that despite his mistakes, his future can hold all he dreams of and more if he just "keeps moving forward."
The next morning, my daughter wakes up rather sullen. She's weepy when I say she has to get dressed and even more weepy when I say she can't wear a dress. I (thinking that this is yet another "princess" moment and she's just crying because she wants her way) head downstairs and tell Isabella to make her way down for breakfast when she's done with her tears.
A few minutes later she comes down, tears still in her eyes and a very red face. She sits down on the couch and I tell her she needs to get dressed because there's breakfast to have and then she must get ready for the bus. Almost before I'm done telling her this, she breaks down again. I go over to her, bring her onto my lap and say "honey, what is this? Tell me what's going on! This isn't about the dress, is it?"
Isabella, mustering up enough strength to tell me, says "I just want my dad..."
Ugh. My heart drops.
"Did you have a bad dream again?" (There have been a few in the last month... always the same thing.)
She nods and then says, "Dad and I were shopping, and he left me."
Oh my heart...
"Love, Daddy would never leave you. He didn't leave you. He left our home. He just isn't living here anymore. He loves you SO much. He didn't leave you."
I, of course, am crying now...
"I know it's hard, honey... but we need to get out of bed. We need to get dressed and go to school and do all the things we always did. We're sad, and that's okay but we still need to do all those things. We can't just be sad all the time."
Michael, at this point, has come over and is standing near. He comes closer, puts his arm around his little sister and kisses her cheek... and then he says, "Isabella, we just have to keep moving forward."
Oh my... the wisdom that comes from the mouth of this 8 year old boy. He amazes me. He's Michael the lionheart... strong as a warrior but his heart is so sweet. I love that boy.
Isabella looks at me now and says, "I love you mama... what's for breakfast?"
The tears are gone. The dream is forgotten, for now.

Oh Lord, bless these lovely children. Protect their hearts, minds and bodies. May they know Your presence daily and learn to lean on You in their times of need.

10 comments:

Roxanne said...

Joy, these moments are so difficult to handle. I have made many mistakes. Thankfully children are so quick to forgive.

I think it must grieve God's heart to see children have to go through this. At any age it is an awful experience.

It is not easy to try to bring comfort to your children when you are experiencing so much hurt yourself.

I know God will give you wisdom and strength as you depend on Him.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Roxanne. Times like these are so very hard. God is gracious and good and despite my shortcomings, He knows what my children need and He provides when I can't.
I hope you're having a good week!

Amy said...

If I said what I really wanted to say, I may not have many friends left...

You know my heart grieves for the children. They are so blessed to have you as a mom to bring them through this. And as you lean on HIM, they too, will lean on HIM.
You know my thoughts and prayers, tears and smiles are ALWAYS with you.
God bless, my love.

Unknown said...

You never cease to make me laugh, Am. I love you. Thank you for defending me and for loving me.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh you made me cry!!!

I don't know what to say except that I am praying that God will take you up.
You are doing a tremendous job, although you may not see it. Your son spoke incredible wisdom.

This is pulling you tighter together and tighter with Jesus. These 2 things alone will bear great fruit in the future.
My heart cries out on your behalf.

Keep pressing in!
I'm proud of you.

Shari said...

Amy, I would still be your friend and perhaps shouting an "amen or two". (These times are a real testing ground for all of us.)

My heart breaks mostly for the children - I will continue to pray for you, the children and for "you know who" to WAKE-UP!!! Okay so I need to read some things are grace right about now.

Joy, if you haven't guessed by now I'm a bit of a scrapper when it comes to defending the needs of children.

Shari said...

p.s. Although we've never met in person I can sense that you are an incredible Mom. None of these circumstances have the power to pull you under - your foundation is FIRM on Christ and we are there to stand along side of you.

Unknown said...

Thank you for those words of affirmation! I truly appreciate every one of you and your prayers are a source of strength for me.

Beth said...

Joy,

I am wiping the tears away as I type, I cry over the pain of you and your children.

Your vulnerability is fragrant. It draws me in. Never underestimate the power and beauty of brokeness.

May God continue to shine through your open heart.

I read your blog with mixed emotion, on one hand, I am so sad at the grief of you and your children but on the other hand, I am thrilled at how God is revealing Himself to you as you turn to Him. Stay close to Him.

Keep sharing your thoughts and experiences, they are beautiful (just like you)!

Love,
Beth

Unknown said...

Thank you sister... you're a blessing to me and I wouldn't be as strong in this without your support and love. You and Chip are invaluable to me and I will never be able to adequately express how I feel. I love you so.